PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter EMS Issues in the USA
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 15:45
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What provoked that is obvious to me. The FAA started allowing the use of NVGs, and thus had to issue regulations concerning them. When they didn't allow them, there was no need of further regulation. Time marches on, along with technology, and thus regulatory requirements change. Once there was no need for regulations concerning the use of VORs.

I see no good way out of allowing pilots to exercise some judgement. IMO, I get paid for my judgement, not for anything else. If I can't use that, then why not just use pilotless drones, controlled from a central location? Some people will always exercise bad judgement, and good judgement comes from making bad decisions and learning from them. If someone else always makes all the decisions for a pilot, that pilot will never become a safe and proficient pilot, because (s)he will never learn to make decisions, and inevitably a decision will be required, because not even the FAA can anticipate everything. All that can be done, IMO, is to set out the minima and expect pilots to comply, and punish those who don't. I don't believe there is a magic bullet, and the only way to completely eliminate all risk is to immediately destroy every aircraft that exists, and never even consider flying again. I'm not in favor of that. Everybody dies eventually, so we may as well accept that and stop the panic attacks.