PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next step.
Thread: The next step.
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 14:38
CAT3C AUTOLAND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flyboy1280,

I was in your situation 12 years ago. I had just finished my Beng in Aero and had a PPL with around 90 hours.

Firstly, I am guilty of this mind set when I was coming through the training phase, but, the modular, integrated debate is not worth thinking about. The bottom line is you will finish with the same qualifications which ever route you take. Looking back now, it really does not make any difference where you did your training, if you have all the right ticks in all the right boxes you are as employable as the next man with the same new blue shiney licence.

I joined an airline just over 2 years ago being a modular student, and have since flown with the gentleman that interviewed me. I was interested to know what the criteria is, when interviewing someone. In a nutshell it is all about the person. You must remember, that the above applies, you all have the same qualifications, however, are YOU suitable as a candiate that will fit into a team environment? Are you the sort of person to rub people up the wrong way, will you give crewing a hard time when your roster is not want you want, are you willing to go the extra mile, the list goes on.

On speaking with some of my colleagues who did go down the integrated road, it would appear that perhaps that route did open doors at the end of the training, in the respect of the school had ties with the airlines and there was a direct link to an interview, but it really is all about being in the right place at the right time.

With respect to the industry, it has to be said it is not a good time. But, on saying that, it has been ups and downs ever since I can remember. On a positive note, it can only get better! I have had my fair share of posts on this forum, and alot of the advice I have tried to give is the same. It might not happen straight away, in terms of getting a professional pilots job, you might have to wait years, I did, but if you are determined enough, and want it bad enough, nature will find a way and you will get to be where you want to be.

All the best.