PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Safety report
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2009, 13:46
Me Myself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote][Thus far, I think Me Myself has probably made the most pertinent contribution (though i'd say that union power is not inherently a bad thing - you only need look at the recent Colgan accident to see that letting management drive working conditions is bad for safety)./QUOTE]

Well Dozy I agree with you but when one talks about pilots union in France, one certainly walks on egg shells..............or threads on a Brown snake.
This profession cannot do without unions, however, the french do not have the discipline to stick to one union. The minute your exact and immediate needs are not taken into account or speedily satisfied, off walks the disstified pilot to another whell where he hopes his thirst will be quenched.
This airline is plagued by the number of unions leading only to making the entire population weaker and the few elected union Shogun feeling powerfull and important since they sit at the bargaining table, have days off their roster for that purpose, in short a real little porky perk.
Reaching an agreement here isn't really the point. To be a good union leader, you have to gutt your oponent like a fish. It's win or die. God, this sounds really like a mexican revolution !!!

The system was based on protecting pilots from unfair actions on the management's part and in essence, it is a very good system.
However, it has been completly abused and only serves the purpose of the very few who do not give a dung and hide behind it.
It is indeed a cultural problem and since the french are errr............french and are bound to remain..........french, I don't forsee anything changing any time soon. When and if it does, I will be eating the dafodills by the root.