PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Naples Air Center & Ormond Beach Aviation
Old 28th Aug 2009, 09:00
tropicalfridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noting your location, I must say that from my experience its a false economy to do your PPL abroad. I did my PPL in SA originally about 10 years ago, and while I had a great time, the short comings in my training where not fully ironed out until I did a UK CPL, and that was after quite a bit of UK GA flying.

Why are you doing an FAA CPL when you live in the UK? You will not get any work in the US unless you have a US passport and when you come back to the UK to 'convert your licence' you will need significantly more training than you think.

The weather, rules and training standards are different, and while it doesn't matter so much for experienced people, it is significant and noticable for those with 2-300hrs. I have seen many follow this route, and most end up doing at best 3/4 of the full CPL & IR course in the UK when they come back brandishing FAA licences. And if you go to the JAA schools in Florida, you will simply be bottom of the job list in Europe for a very long time.

Angry posts will follow from the Florida training providers who make a lot of money from international students, and the odd person who says they converted easily, I would take it all with caution and train in the UK if thats where you live.