PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 23:59
cac_sabre

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1975 PNG WAC Chart

I was delving through a few old "Paradise" magazines (The Oli Callim Air-No-Go inflight magazine) from the late 70s last night. I was looking for reference pictures showing the paint scheme of Air Niugini F-27s and interleaved in the pages of one magazine I found this old faded and slightly stained WAC chart.

Talk about a flood of memories looking over this stuff. I recall the chart we displayed in the towers at Nadzab and Lae were hand "enhanced" with the penning in of quite a few strips that were not marked on the original, unfortunately this WAC chart doesnt have these marked so I dont have the "full picture" of the routes and destinations of those days.

I recall that shortly after independence the printing "plates" for these charts were transferred to the PNG government where they were promptly lost, so no new charts were ever produced up to 1982 at least. By that time pilots were using a RAAF chart which had very few strips marked on it. I dont know what the case is today.

Which leads me to a question, has GPS navigation systems altered PNG operations in any way since them old days? Do pilots use it to avoid cumulus granitus? I recall some old and bolds used to navigate by recognising the odd tree and slope coming visible in the gloom (allegedly)...

Oh yes I am still after good reference pics of Air Niugini F-27s... can anyone help me? I need top and bottom views.

Lukim