PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairchild Argus
Thread: Fairchild Argus
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2002, 13:57
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
poetpilot: I think we are in a recession as far as flying is concerned. As it is a hobby for many people, when the government taxes us more, we have to fly less, and when considering aircrat ownership, buy shares in less exotic aircraft.

I have a share in PFA permit a/c, operating out of a farm strip in the West Midlands. The C90 engine barely hauls two people, the cruise speed is 80knots, and the range just 250nm. Not ideal, but I only paid £3500 for the share, it costs £26/hr to fly, plus we pay £25/month to cover fixed costs.

As you can see, I can barely afford to fly. I would love to have the £6000 to join with three others and buy the Soko Kraguj that has been for sale in "Pilot" for a number of months, but it ain't gonna happen. At least not while my employer continues to pay me the pittance he does.

My aircraft is a nearly unique in the UK (can something be "nearly unique"? ). It it old and has an interesting history and much character. It is also cheap. As such it represents the ideal aircaft for myself at the current time.

I suspect that many potential group members are struggling under similar financial pressure as myself, and would prefer to buy into a plane with more certain running costs, and a lower fuel burn and are willing to sacrifice (as I was) some character in doing so.

My sentiments are definitely with you though, I think group flying it is a brilliant way of operating older, more characterful aircraft so that they can continue to fly.

Best wishes in your quest for the right people to join you. Who knows in a couple of years I might be ready to move up to something bigger and faster, the economy may have picked up, and perhaps my share will have even appreciated in value. If so, I would certainly be interested in joining you in another 'interesting' aircraft.

To answer you questions, I'd be looking to pay about £6000, for something with good utility and an interesting character, almost certainly a tailwheeel a/c, and based ideally at Wolverhampton, Tatenhill or Derby. But not for a couple of years