PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 22:34
Speedbird715

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is how we learn it [Assuming good WX conditons + approach from the northeast with no racetrack procedure req'd]

"ILS Rwy 24 into Ibiza.

MSA 2800, highest terrain to the right of the approach track.

DME-20 IBA VOR at or above 4000, then after DME-16 a left turn to intercept the localizer or radar vectors onto final.

Glide slope intercept from 1900 feet at DME-7 from the VOR, 3° slope, final altitude 1500' at the OM, decision altitude 270' to cater for the worst-case climb gradient.

Missed Approach straight ahead to 2000 on heading 243, then a left turn direct to IBZ NDB, climbing 3000.

Nav Setup: I've got IBZ 109,5 / final approach course 243 for the ILS on NAV1, Ibiza VOR on NAV2. NDB 394 for the go-around.

Flap 30 landing, Autobrakes 3, approach speed 145.

Wind from the right at 10."
[Any special items such as runway condition, WX, config, taxi procedures, fuel/divert situation etc etc amend here if required]

Final + Decision Altitude & MAP are by-heart items. Turned out quite similar to low'n slow's version. As a cade... eerm correction, soon-to-be 200-hour-wonder, I'm quite happy with that (I swear I didn't look

I find 411's opinion on briefings quite interesting and the experience on which that must be based admirable. However, even most 15.000 hour captains in our company would prefer a slightly longer briefing. It doesn't really hurt anyone to talk and establish/confirm a mind-set WITHOUT sounding like an aviation psychologist in a CRM lesson That said, I've heard briefings like... "yeah well, there's the field, let's go and land on it". If it's the 6th leg on a CAVOK-day, a well-known 4000 meter runway with vectors to final and everyone on the flight deck is happy with that, why not?

Last edited by Speedbird715; 27th Aug 2009 at 22:45.