PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 19:49
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear 'airyana' a good example of briefing is that one shown by 'low n 'slow'. By the way I want you to notice that on the top left of each Jeppesen map there is a small note written near the top: "Briefing Strip". This is exactly what that strip, together: I and my co-pilot, two of my students or examinees in the simulator or on-line, in the past, and now my IFR student pilots, with or without FMS, accessed and cross-controlled, integrated with relevant NOTAM, before each and every beginning of descent for the approach.
I, too, when I used to land in JED, BRU or NYC only, sometimes in Taipei, already knew each and every single map by heart, yet claimed that the Pilot Flying did the briefing for the landing.
And only in very rare cases accepted a change of runway at the last minute.
For other tricks like the missed approach gradient, the procedure turn, the racetrack, those are issues to be studied during the homework. Even today, before leaving for a series of instructional flights, after 44 years and 22000 hours flying (well say that I am a novice), among other things I Take a refresh at home of airports maps interesting to me.
I say again: only Minima and Go Around procedure have to be memorised (according to a major intercontinental Carrier I've been flying for).
Regards
DOVES