PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy. What does everyne think of it?
Old 27th Aug 2009, 19:05
Cpt. Sunshine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locarno1,

I am not writing this from any level of understanding and before you read what I have written I want to say that what is expressed is my opinion of what has been discussed in this thread.

Firstly, I think that you have offended allot of people by mentioning that the bank of mummy and daddy will finance you through to fATPL. There are pilots on here with huge loans who did their qualifications with no sort of banking from parents/family and I think that these people (rightly) don't like seeing someone having it so easy. I'm 13 and want to get started on my PPL at 14, but I'm having to work hard at home (cooking, cleaning and trying very very hard at school) to even start to get my parents to think about helping me through this license. I know full well that anything like this is a financial strain on them and I have made it clear that I will think no less of them if they decide not to pay me through the PPL. This was the reason I too was offended by your post- perhaps I am jealous but I hate seeing people flash the cash with such naivety. (If I'm given £10 to go shopping, I buy the cheapest brands and save what I can to put towards flying- seeing people's parents write out cheques with no thought is hurtful to say the least).

Furthermore, allot of the supposed negativity construed by other posters in this thread is probably just trying to get you thinking straight. These people did it the good old way (saving and modular) and are the better (in my opinion) for it. I'm not nearly arrogant enough to say as fact to have any level of understanding as to why what was said was but I believe that these guys are out to help you. I think they do not want to see another newbie signed off to the line in heavy debt. Nor, I belive, do they want your parents £100k+ poorer for funding their son through a course that could be done much cheaper.

Also, I think allot of people were upset and hurt by how easy you thought it is to become a pilot. I'm probably no better than you but remember there are people unemployed and financially scarred from their aviation experiences. Try and show consideration for these people in your posts and I think you'll find that the responses come much politer. (look at my thread 'PPL Training as a Teenager' in the private flying forum)

Locarno1 try the EPST online aptitude test too.

Before I sign off, I do not want anybody thinking I am looking down at Locarno1 or any other posters. I am no better than Locarno1 at dreaming but I thank every poster in this thread for writing what they did as all of it (except accusing him of being a troll-just childish surely) was intended to help (if a little backhandedly in some cases) in some way.