PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 lost tail taxying DOH
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 18:57
Mike C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KLALA,

I think you should be very careful of your opinions.
I have inspected the concrete exactly where it happened (tail rotor slash marks)very very carefully, I know exactly where he taxied from, he had done about 90 degrees of turning to the left(high tr pitch setting) in a relatively tight turn, maybe 20 foot radius and IF the nose wheel had been locked then there is absolutely no scuff marks at all, and if the nose wheel had been locked I know from experience when I was new on type that he would not have been able to turn that tight. I know you work here and if you had taken the trouble to check, you would have come to the same conclusion.The concrete is quite white here and these marks show up very well.

Are we to assume that if we leave the nosewheel lock in, in a left hand turn the tail "falls off", I hope not, BUT be careful on that left pedal guys, you never know!!!

I know in a left hand turn there could be up to 200HP(thrust and moment arm,you work it out) pushing against a locked nosewheel(full pedal). Much higher stresses than in actual flight I would say. The torn aluminum alloy skin's looked awful thin to my untrained eye, and must admit to a little apprehension now.

I can only assume the Italians have done the maths.

The Captain concerned from my experience of a number of years is a very conscientious and honest guy, I have seen lots of offshore/shuttle shortcuts on checklists done a few myself I am afraid, but the pretaxy/take checks from my observation here are always done, and feel positive that he and his Captain copilot would do the same, unlike the previous incident with this machine on a helideck.

Regards

Mick.