PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 18:53
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll give it a try.

Given that I'm cleared to the D20 IBA IAF flying my current type (Bambino Saab):
Formalia
ILS approach rwy 24, Ibiza, 11 dash 1, 28'th of sept 01
Frequency 109.5 with DME hold on IBA VOR 117.8
ADF set to 394 IBZ
Final Approach Track 243
Sector Altitude 2800

Tracks and navigation
Cross D20 IBA inbound on track 233 at 4000 feet or above, inside D20 lowest altitude is 2200 feet.
D 16 IBA, left turn to 196 to intercept the ILS, when established descend to 1900 feet. Pick up the glide at D6.9 IBA.

Altitudes and checks for the final approach
Check outer marker at 1490, minima 218 feet and 550 meters RVR.

Missed approach procedure
When going around, I'll call going around, flaps 7, set power, positive rate, gear up, LRN Nav, indicated airspeed. I'll continue straight ahead 2000 feet, left turn and join IBZ holding at 3000 feet.

Brief any use of non standard company procedures
High speed/low drag approach, noiseabadement

Open up to feedback and corrections
Any questions?

I think it's important to talk about how you intend to fly the approach, even though it at first glance may look very straight forward. On charts with a lot of intermediate altitudes during the arrival segment, it can often be confusing which altitude applies to which segment (look at the ENSN LLZ19 chart if you have access to it and you'll see what I mean). Therefore, it doesn't hurt to talk about the flightpath up the glideslope intercept so as to clear any questionmarks. It's a good way to spot errors before you make them.

Don't try and memorize all the formalia. This is just used to check that the navaids are set properly and that both have the same plate and edition. Put that energy on limiting factors such as altitudes, distances and turning directions.

If your company offers you several different procedures for you to use depending on the prevailing conditions, state which procedure you will use. Especially if they involve automatic configuration changes that are prompted by a sequence and not by the initiation of the handling pilot. In my case this would be the high speed/low drag approach that indicates that I as the flying pilot will call for condition levers to be set to max a opposed to them following automatically after the final flap setting.

And as stated by previous posters, with experience and especially experience related to that particular approach and airport, the briefing can be slightly compressed, offering more of your capacity to actually flying the aircraft and executing the approach as safely as possible. Remember that you cannot brief an aircraft to the stand, it has to be flown...

I hope this was any help.
/LnS