PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Met Office - not fit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 17:46
SIGMET nil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading all the negative comments on this thread I just can thank heavens that in many years I've only met a few pilots and atc controllers with a "you-are-all-incompetent" approach towards modern aviation meteorologists. Infallibly it was impossible to do it right for those and I think that's the way it will stay.

Giving the forecaster a hard time you will achieve nothing.

To blame modern technology for allegedly poor forecasts is even more wrong. Todays cockpit and ground based weather information systems are such a wonderful resource to gain insight into complex weather patterns we dreamt of only 15 years ago.

I'm convinced that the proper way to go is to cooperate friendly with each other, to train with each other and to listen to each other to learn about the other party's perspective. That means also familiarization flights, sitting at the scope with atc staff and inviting aviation professionals into a MET office or at least meeting with them for discussion.

I'm grateful to the many pilots and atc staff in the past two decades who let me participate in their experience and therefore helped me, to do a better job. In most cases I was able to give them something back in return.