PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oxford Aviation Academy. What does everyne think of it?
Old 27th Aug 2009, 15:25
skyhigh1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locarno1 I can understand that you want to choose the best school for training, whether to go Integrated or Modular and this is an obviously a personal choice and one only you can make. It is great that you have the financial backing of your parents, hell I needed their help for security and would never have been able to afford to do all this training if it wasn't for them. Take everything obviously on here with the pinch of salt, don't listen to that is said and make your own decision.

I myself decided to go Integrated, starting in 2007 with Oxford, at the time, industry ok, continual expansion, optimistic. Count the months and you will see when I graduated! The dark times we are in now. Remember as well, you are only sixteen and you will change a hell of a lot. I have seen some guys coming fresh out of big schools at a young age with no grip on reality whatsoever. I have also seen many mature 20 year olds who know the score.

I personally didn't go to uni, I don't regret it in any way, maybe missed out on the social side but hey, who cares! The degree Oxford offers is not of great relevance to the course and to my experience has been poorly managed! Maybe that has all changed.............
OAA - very much enjoyed the experience, good instruction in both the states and during the IR and MCC/JOC. Loved the Seneca (give a s**t its not a glass cockpit) -'oh my god I have to change the RPM myself'- Had one of the best five months in Phoenix (flying, women, pool, sun, Vegas, what else do you want), Good groundschool instruction! I finshed on time and had no real problems along the way so I really have nothing bad to say about it. I am glad that I got into the game at a later age too as I feel more experienced in a demanding industry.
There is no point in arguing over the ins and outs of schools, its a risk but go take it! I'm £110000 in the red now due to RYR Type Rating but its good man

Go to Uni if you like, add another 15-20K ontop of OAA, which is now a cool 71000. Maybe you will get BA? Maybe you will get RYR, who knows what the total outcome will be? You still have a few years to decide and as we know this industry changes quickly so don't stress too much.
Get your name of here for one
Eye on the prize
Be a cool dude