PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach Briefing
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 10:25
Checkboard

Received 119 Likes on 58 Posts
Exclamation Would I have any questions?

Normally, I toss it down on the center console, and say...any questions?
Why have you not set the course bars yet? Oh - forgot? Have you mis-dialled that frequency - or did you intend that? I haven't been here before, how are we joining the approach? Vectors? The full racetrack procedure? If we are flying an arc, how do you intend to do that? Use a VOR, then change frequencies for the ILS? If we have to hold for traffic or weather, where will you do that? How much holding fuel do we have? At what point in time will you want to divert? And to where? If we get a windshear warning, will you immediately go-around, or will you assess the performance first?

None of this is on the chart, 411A - it's why professionals brief.

An example:

The pilot in command was a former airline pilot with 10,108 hours total flight experience, and 2,591 hours on the Westwind aircraft. The copilot had 3,747 hours total flight experience, most of which was conducted in helicopters. He had 80 hours of experience on the Westwind. The pilot in command was the handling pilot for the flight.

The Captain's Brief:
"We’ll go down to forty-three hundred to there and if you can wind in thirty-four fifty - and when we - when we get over there wind in twenty-seven eighty - that’ll be the minimum - we’ll see how it looks - for a giggle - ah - you can put the steps in now too if you wouldn’t mind - but you only need to put the steps in below the lowest safe."
The aircraft hit the ridge in clear air, and all three aboard (whom I knew) were killed.

Last edited by Checkboard; 27th Aug 2009 at 10:45.