PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The Ambidji Report – CASA should get their money back!
Old 27th Aug 2009, 08:25
joesch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ambidiji Report

I guess there is little disagreement about the reliability of the report itself. Recent changes which have been introduced, are in my view not justifiable give that the methodology used is flawed.

Nevertheless, I find it surprising that very little information about traffic movement or factual data on frequency congestions has been mentioned. It was briefly mentioned only in the survey and had a high response rate, but not discussed or any detailed recommendations where made. I would argue that while air traffic congestions is not the primary risk of MAC's, however the attempt to deal with such risks by CASA and Airservices is problematic.

The subsequent changes which have been introduced (limitations of aircraft in the cts) among others are unlikely to have significantly implications for safety risks as they currently stand. Yet holding outside a GAAP ZONE with no where to go, is asking for trouble.

Firstly, it would also be prudent to keep in mind that most pilots operating at BK are some of the most vunerable of pilot populations - those that are learning to fly. Therefore any restrictions on A/C allowed into the GAAP zones increases the likelihood of congestion among reporting point. This is hardly sensible. Moreover, considering also the closure of Hoxton Park and the occasional film shooting of Top Gear at Camden, one wonders where aircrafts are supposed to go, when things go wrong.

A few weeks back, 3 events in 3 days causing delays and runway closure made me think twice about sending my students to the T/A.

my 2 cents worth
j

Last edited by joesch; 27th Aug 2009 at 09:04.