PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Position of Elevators at T/O - A-320
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2009, 08:10
FlightDetent

Only half a speed-brake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sure it can. The questions left unanswered:
- what is the position of elev when SD indicates "full down" (i.e. atop the stop band, achieved with half stick forward) - see last pictures
- what is the position of elev when SD indicates "end stop" (i.e. in the middle of the the stop band, achieved with more than half stick forward) - see last pictures
- what is the behaviour of elev during TO roll if the stick is held half way forward up to 80 kt
- what is the behaviour of elev during TO roll if the stick is full forward up to 80 kt
- what difference do the two techniques provide
- why does Airbus require different techique for each case depending on wind component.

XPM: Sometimes the old manuals have more information that gets removed later on to prevent confusion amongst the "common users". In order to make the essentials more visible the nice-to-know and beyond skin deep is deleted. Or of course, sometimes because it is plain wrong. I have a copy of "Instructor Support" dated 2001 which I thought was predecessor of FCTM until seeing the header you posted. This book is much richer than the present day FCTM although some procedures are now explained and/or done differently. Still it has no reference to the witnessed elev behaviour unlike your (older) manual. It took 45+ posts to get the question right and yield some clever ideas but no answers, I love it, thanks for your inputs so far.

FD (the un-real)