PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2001, 23:36
max_cont

I wouldn't normaly post on this subject because I don't fly Airbus, only Boeing.

I will admit to disliking the idea that I cannot override a computer, especially when it's my ass that's strapped to the seat and not the system designers.

The A/C was designed by people. People are not infallible, they can't think of everything.

The FBW is a great idea, IF you give the pilots a last "out", in that "not considered" scenario.

As someone has already stated, "mother nature" will sometimes come up with the unexpected. Any system as hugely important as the flight control system had better have an answer, even if it's just giving back full control to the pilots.

I know I will probably be slated for this post. Some Airbus pilots seem to respond in an almost rabid manner, to any criticism aimed at the A/C. (we only operate them guys)

I have only been flying Boeing airplanes for 13 years. I accept that there are faults with the design, some found and no doubt some still to be discovered.

Why is it that some pilots will not even consider, that Airbus could possibly have got some of it wrong?

I write this knowing that in a couple of years I will be OPERATING the A330, since Boeing haven't designed a new airplane to compete with AI.