PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self sponsored TR: Worth it at the moment?
Old 26th Aug 2009, 20:51
davidsata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a smart idea

Hello my friend,
I'm in a similar situation as your's (considering TR and foreign certifications) but at this time i think that keeping what you already have could be the smartest idea you could keep in mind

In past weeks I've been looking for a conversion to an ICAO CPL to write some ATPL exams and looking for an a320 type rating to apply in ANY airline that could possibly hire me; in my country I have even asked for jobs without salary just to get a bunch of hours logged and try to jump to anyplace in this planet to fly as an airline pilot but still nothing

I have submited not less than 2 hundred applications and sent i dont know how many e-mails requesting interviews or possibilities to get hired

What i really suggest to you, is to be relentless in your quest of a job in an airline but while you do that, not even think to leave your job as an instructor...

by now apply as many times as you want in everyplace you know they have airplanes you want to fly and maybe you are lucky and they give type rating
or if you get an arrangement you could negotiate for you to pay the type rating with a contract already signed for you to stay

I agree with your idea that we have to take some risks to be in a higher position but these days i think paying a TR without an arrengement or leaving a job you are quite comfortable with, could be not the best idea since you have a lot to lose

be patient, after all this bad times the aviation is living good times will come

godspeed yourself