PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 7
Thread: MANCHESTER - 7
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 20:47
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infrastructure Investment

Hi Adola 69 -

Your post reads as if you are criticizing MAN for not investing in its infrastructure, AND simultaneously for ... errr ... investing in its infrastructure? The new ILS equipment can only enhance the airport's appeal to to its 'loyal bunch of airlines', surely? And we regulars here know that for all the airport's shortcomings there is a very expensive programme of taxiway and apron upgrades in progress.

The remedy for the airport's infrastructure faults is new investment, and the new ILS installations are a part of that. Would you rather that MAN did not make this new investment? And as for the timing of the installation process - well - when is the best time to install new equipment? Traffic is at its quietest in the Winter; weather is at its best (but far from perfect) in the Summer. Ultimately, MAN must make the best judgement-call they can in choosing when to install new equipment. There is no perfect time to disrupt airline traffic, but airlines well understand the long-term benefits of investing in the installation of modern and more reliable equipment.

By the way, what do you mean by "airbridges that fall on your aircraft?" I am not saying that this has never happened (I really don't know) ... I'm just curious as to whether you are referring to a specific incident? I certainly don't get the impression that this is a common problem?

In short, why not lighten up a bit? The airport is investing in infrastructure upgrades (and during a recession too) exactly to address the issues you raise. But they can't do everything at once, and there is no way for work-in-progress to be accommodated without some disruption. The airport is doing its best to minimize (because it cannot eliminate) such disruption. What more do you expect?

All the best. SHED.