PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 19:54
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah! when honesty and data fail play the 'safety' card.

3 paragraphs which state there will be no problem with local airfields. And the comment on transitting traffic? Barely a line. As correct as the traffic figures? Who knows.

I'm sure many units have all sorts of calls upon their resources which they judge to be a higher priority than GA traffic. We see a lot of ATC'ers who are quite keen on 'the user who pays' getting the service whilst the remainder go without. I can see little reason for the RCOCAS call which routinely answers transit requests. As soon as the channel has been crossed that particular call is never heard which I find quite telling.

In my experience Norwich ATC have always been helpful and useful. But experience tells me that once somewhere has controlled airspace that is exactly what they do - control and restrict entry to it.

But if you really wanted to protect the passenger in the seat - why have you not linked your Class D directly to the airways? If the military is the problem - why did you let that develop? Over what period? If there is a threat now, how can you possibly justfiy continuing commercial flights tomorrow?

Are you just going to tell passengers if they come back next year if will be much safer but it might not be OK today?

As for the protection that Joe Soap wants - obviously the best available - so why is Norwich happy to let flights operate tomorrow? Either the margin / probability is acceptable or you should not be flying.........

The argument is either fatuous or a telling indictment on the airport management.