PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2001, 19:01
Anti-ice

Red face

I've read pieces of this thread , and again a question mark seems to hang ominously over the capabilities / authority of the airbus FBW systems.

I'm not either pro/anti airbus,but do feel more than a shade of concern over the integrity of it's onboard equipment.

The close call on the LH A320 sounds just a little too close to be comfortable - well done guys - , but to have your overall command of an aircraft over-ridden by a computer in such a critical phase of flight seems almost unthinkable.

The series 'black box' is being shown on Sky Wings again at the moment ,with last Fridays programme focusing on Human error -v- Automation.

A clip I've never seen before featured a (Tarom?) A320 seemingly out of control over CDG - the aircraft rocked and yawed over the video cam filming it with engines howling, nose high & gear down at an altitude of i guess 2-3,000 feet .I couldn't believe what i was seeing at first, I dread to think of the reactions onboard.

Inevitably there will be the usual boeing versus reactions to this , and doubtless there are hundreds of airbuses around the world doing a 1st class job, but are airbus open to reviewing and changing systems to ensure the highest level of confidence in them?