PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 17:35
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To whom do you suggest these calls should be made - every Squadron that might transit near the Airport ? I wonder if you have any experience of dealing with the Military on this type of thing
Well I have been directly involved in this sort of problem - and we eventually got a satisfactory resolution. That came from communicating and convincing the local units and then the more distant. It is unlikely to work by huffing and puffing. Instigating Class D is a pretty poor alternative and would suggest a fairly petulant attitude - much like many of these posts!

And how many of those refusals have been notified to DAP I wonder ?
I wish I knew! My personal experience is that 'refusals' occur around 25% of the time with the northern units and much more frequently towards the south coast. I very much doubt that many are ever reported. Doubtless the units concerned would state that 'a couple of minutes later' transit would have been granted and so there is no need to record a refusal... But I am not inclined to spend 10 minutes orbiting whilst waiting for many Class D units to get around to granting a transit, going around is the only other alternatve. (The recent practice of many units allowing you to get very close to the boundary and then having to specifically ask for area crossing is another interesting tactic - presumably just trying to make the point?).

Norwich can produce their numbers, can you ?
Well why has the application completely ignored the effect on adjacent GA traffic? Norwich could have (and indeed should have) considered this - but it would be a negative factor so of course cannot be presented in what is nothing more than a 'sales speil'.

Last edited by gasax; 26th Aug 2009 at 17:51.