PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1
Thread: V1
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 15:24
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A375757575,

I guess that the B737 must be the odd one out in the Boeing family, in fact Boeing (in the 767 and 744) state that max manual braking will actually produce as good or better (depending on how you read the English expression) as autobrakes.

As the actual braking depends entirely on the brake hydraulic pressure ported to each brake ( as may be modulated by the anti-skid) there is no engineering reason why max. manual braking will not produce exactly the same results as autobrake in a rejected takeoff, once the brakes are applied--- Check with Boeing.

It is more than likely that the sim. result you have seen is a characteristic if the sim, not the aeroplane -- sims are great devices for what they are good for, aircraft certification or operations at the margins of the envelope are not what they are good for, representational, but not precisely accurate. In a real abort, you better be precisely accurate.

Instead of making a string of rather silly and sarcastic remarks, have a close look at the time sequence to activate the autobrake, in a rejected takeoff, compared to applying max. manual braking as the thrust levers are being retarded. Do you have figures for MTBF for the autobrake system?

As to company SOPs, and it is made very clear that it is Captain's choice, they are all quite capable of making that choice. RTO is always armed.

The same goes for the rest of the equipment, unless it's down to low weather minima procedures, and, as most of us understand, that's where it gets very specific. Unlike other companies I could name, keeping thoroughly current on hand flying is also regarded as a good idea. In fact, being competent and current throughout all the combinations and permutations of operating is a requirement --- to be demonstrated during cyclic training.

It sound to me like you work for an "automatic" company, I'm sure you understand what I mean. More than likely, that's why some of your pilots produce the results you have observed on the instructor panel.

Have you ever been involved in a maximum effort abort --- I have, twice, both major engine breakups within a couple of knots of V1, around 150kt, with little in the way of surplus runway in each case ---- Let's just say it is a lot more "realistic" than the sim, or any sim I have been in, and that is quite a few --- the sim. visuals just don't get the big flash out past the front of the aircraft from a massive compressor surge --- both were at night, quite spectacular. All cause by compressor stages turned into something that looked like a well chewed cob of corn.

Tootle pip!!