PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Met Office - not fit for purpose?
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 12:14
Doctor Cruces

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have to agree with the moaners, in general.

Although not now connected with aviation, other than my lifetime of experience within it and PPRuNe, the weather the general public gets is absolute rubbish.

One example a while ago, someone rang in to BBC Norwich during the Look East program and said it was snowing. Young lady weatherperson, on air, categorically assured caller it wasn't and indeed could not be snowing. Cue to stick head out of window. I either had the worst ever case of instant dandruff or it was snowing. Rule 1, look out of the window!

Just last week, there was I driving to work when the wx forcast at three mins to eight comes on the Today program. Nice man says words to the effect that East Anglia, especially Norfolk and Suffolk would be nice all day and, indeed, were currently experiencing sunny blue skies. That adequately explained my windscreen wipers needing to be used occassionally and wall to wall grey up above. I refer again to rule 1 (above).

And another thing, where's my barbecue summer?

As a rule, if I want to know what the weather over UK is going to be like, I google the jetstream forcast and see where it's going to be. Top edge south of me wx crap, bottom edge north of me, a good chance of fine wx. Generally works.

Maybe we should just go back to the old "Weather Stone" we had on the 23 Sqn Ops outside windowsill at MPA!!

Doc C