PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry On Baggage- Weight Crack down??
View Single Post
Old 7th Jan 2002, 03:59
dumiel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who has experienced severe turbulence and seen the overhead lockers shake open suddenly wish they had put their extremely overweight wheelie in the hold (trouble is it usually falls on someone elses head). I remember sometime in the 70's taking my safety courses and being shown the fatal results of an airliner that had survived an emergency landing but the weight of the overhead lockers and the force of the landing had caused the overhead lockers to come away from the airframe and blocked the emergency exits, most if not all (the memory is blured) died as a direct result.
I am always very concerned at the ever increasing amount of handluggage that is accepted by most airlines although I am aware that the lockers have been strengthened most airlines pander to the business man that considers waiting for his luggage at his destination costs him too much time and therefore money. Airlines are now competing against each other in allowing more and more cabin baggage especially for premium cabins with little concern for the cabin crew who have to try and lift it into the bins because they are too heavy for the self important business executive to get their own hernia.

Remember crew personnel in the UK are not insured to carry or lift luggage over the amount that the airline indicates is a safe amount i.e 6kg for BA in economy and 9kg maximum for each bag in club or first.Should they suffer back injury they have to sue the airline for any compensation. I know of several that will never work in the industry again due to this and are still waiting for damages four years plus later.