PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 11:08
jpthomas72

Easyjet in reverse-gear in Germany ?

Yes, Berlin has lots of domestic flights already, this is not a gap in the market. TUIFly I think still holds the special contract to shuttle federal government public servants between former capital-city Bonn (using Cologne CGN) and Berlin (used to be a really cool flight from Tempelhof, now Tegel). Some 20 departures per day from Cologne to Berlin. 4U connect Zweibruecken, Cologne, Stuttgart, AB for Duesseldorf, Saarbruecken and Munich, FR for Hahn and Weeze, again TUIFly for Memmingen. Not even mentioning LH's network. Plus fast trainlines (esp in East Germany), making e.g. Hamburg-Berlin pretty pointless by air. So yes, EZY is just too late for domestic German routes, in general apart from the new Dusseldorf-Basel flight they seem on the retreat from Germany. 3 flights a day from the whole of London to Berlin this summer - how poor is that ! While both AB and 4U actively market connecting flights from UK via their hubs. EZY's Dortmund and Cologne operation cut back sharply. Sorry Stelios, looks like you've lost the game in the biggest EU economy. OK, I admit I'm personally unhappy as they cut EMA-CGN and were too scared to open BHX-SXF (leaving me with FR EMA-SXF), and run BHX-GVA only in the ski season. All there other routes make money, while these apparently wouldn't.