PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sleaford Tech - 1955 and 1961
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 08:24
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
I've just received a DVD entitled Look at Life - British Cold War Jets. It has 9 individual 'Look at Life' shorts - for the benefit of digi-yoof, I should perhaps explain that the 'Look at Life' series were short films which were shown during the break between the B-movie and the main picture at cinemas. Probably just after the 'Pearl and Dean' adverts (with that evocative theme).

One of the shorts was School for Skymen about RAFC Cranwell in 1966 - only 2 years before my time. A very good film. But I was wrong about 'Sgt' Johnny Garbutt - I wouldn't have known who he was in 1966, so couldn't possibly have recognised him in the film at the time. I think it must have been an old SKC film I was thinking of.

For those of us who remember the seemingly endless line of JPs at RAFC Cranwell, the Google Earth image of the current flight line is rather depressing:

What a tragedy that RAFC Cranwell isn't the centre of excellence it was 40-50 years ago.....

To explain the yellow pin marked 'Javelin', one miserably early morning in the winter of 1969, 'Uncle' Les Rodda took pity on us and held the morning drill session in the building I've indicated. Whilst mooching around inside, I looked behind a wall of packing crates and found a complete Gloster Javelin sitting there minding its own business. I wonder what became of it?

Last edited by BEagle; 28th Aug 2009 at 11:21.