PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wingovers at DHFS
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 06:36
[email protected]

Received 649 Likes on 285 Posts
MGD - I don't suppose it will feature on any OCU syllabus as they are pretty full already - if you only teach them on the squirrel and then the pilot doesn't see one again until the front-line, he/she will have forgotten everything about them and you will be starting again from scratch.

If you reinforce the Squirrel training on the Griffin (just like all the other exercises) the pilot is more likely to retain some of the skills so that the front-line training is a refresher. After all they were in the syllabus until Bell (it would appear) put their oar in.

Dundiggin' - I would have thought the Catterick crash is exactly the reason to teach pilots how to do this stuff properly rather than the 'look what I got shown last week by the Sqn ripsh*t' technique of passing on handling skills.

Unfortunately many Sqn pilots who start to throw the aircraft around do so based on little knowledge or practise and think that helicopter aeros need to be flown in the same brutal and unsympathetic way that they are shown on FW.

All helicopter aeros, from wingovers in a Sq to backflips in a Lynx (no I'm not suggesting backflips go on the syllabus) can be flown smoothly and the handling skills need to be taught all the way through training.