PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1
Thread: V1
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2009, 01:28
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
As a quick PS to this thread, it is instructive to look at the record of high speed aborts, caused by engine failures --- the conclusion I draw is, don't get too worked up about runway remaining at V1, in the event of an engine failure, you are going off the side due to loss of of directional control.

Getting the thrust levers back on the stops is, based on the statistics, even more important than getting on the brakes, to achieve a successful rejected takeoff. An abort brief: "Thrust off, brakes on" --- in that order ---- separated by milliseconds --- any more than that, either psychologically or in practice, and the statistics say you are a candidate for off the side.

As for the arguments about "autobrake" versus good old feet ----- that's a whole area of inadequate consideration, but I know my decision in advance, I am not going to wait to see if the autobrakes work as advertised.

Tootle pip!!

PS: V1 at Lagos ---- couldn't agree more, having several times slept on the floor of a freighter, because it was the best accommodation available at the time. V1 at Luanda is much the same.