PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffrey Thomas awarded RAES "Journalist of the Year"
Old 25th Aug 2009, 22:12
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't you call me? Everyone else does and I am not hard to find.
I concede that the distribution of our press releases does not extend to ATW. Usually the journos contact us after a press release is made to all newspaper, radio and television outlets. Again it was well known that the ALAEA were openly speaking about maintenance issues and it would have been easier to look us up than the ALAEA knowing which one of the hundreds of journos in this country was about to disagree with the matters we were placing on the public record.

I understand that it is beneficial for Australian journos or experts to praise an Australian airline and not scare the public without cause. Our process is simple. We take any matter of genuine concern to the airline, if they don't act we go to CASA, when they do nothing it is off to the press. Placing a maintenance issue in the public forum may not fix what has happened but it certainly puts the airline on guard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If your goal is to water down the "scare campaign" by denouncing what we say, I would expect it to at least be based on fact after some investigation, not just general positive statements that appear to be paraphrased from a Qantas PR manual.

You have my number now and I look forward to working with you when the need arises.

Last edited by ALAEA Fed Sec; 25th Aug 2009 at 22:26.