PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffrey Thomas awarded RAES "Journalist of the Year"
Old 25th Aug 2009, 21:54
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good work Mr Thomas and I would agree that your answers have passed the test. The only facility not mentioned was ST Aerospace in Singapore.

I would agree that LH as an airline is highly regarded but surprisingly, LH Technik Manilla does not do any work on LH aircraft. I have also been informed that they are not even their preferred Asian supplier.

Would anyone question CX or SQ maintenance. I think so but that is for the players up there to discuss although there have been instances in Singapore of non Qf parts being fitted to Qf aircraft after the parts storage led to the mixing of components.

The facility that works on CX aircraft (HAECO) recently mounted all four engines on the same Qf aircraft incorrectly and they were unable to rig the flaps on a Qf 747-300 which was ferried back to Avalon for rectification.

The shonky wiring was EEL (floor path) on a 747-400 aircraft. All other Qantas aircraft were checked and the only other one found with the same problem (in dozens of locations) was the second aircraft that had been to the same facility. The facility claims it was not them because they didn't work in the areas of concern however the floorboards had been removed in those locations. Certainly the ALAEA doesn't accept their answers. We are disappointed that CASA appears to have.

We have attempted to work closely with the new Joyce team. We have quietly gone about our business until recently. We have been reporting our concerns directly to the airline but unfortunately their actions indicate that they are continuing to turn a blind eye to problems both within and outside our shores.

Qantas didn't build the best safety reputation by chance, it started from day one. Staff were sufficiently trained and held pride in what they did because they weren't threatened with loss of work to overseas facilities unless they did the job quicker and cheaper.

The situation was suitably summed up by a manager in Cairns recently when he said -

Qantas used to be 95% ability and 5% company. Now it is the other way around. 95% company and 5% ability.