PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet safety briefing
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 16:08
one post only!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In fairness to skipness he is probably one of the handful pax who actually do take an interest in what goes on with aircraft. He probably really doesn't have to be told.

The problem is skipness we have to work with the lowest common denominator. That being brain dead half wits who can't tie their own shoelaces. Believe me, we get them onboard!!!! We have to brief the whole cabin together and at the half wit level.

The problem arises when said half wits look around and see people who look like they have a brain (they assume this as you are not reading a red top paper) not listening so they think they don't need to either. This emergency exit brief doesn't matter. Back to the b00bs in my mag.

Whenever I fly down the back I will always put my paper down and pay attention. I really don't need to be told how to put on a life jacket and how to open an overwing slide but I do this for 2 reasons.
1) Out of professional courtesy to the CC. They are carrying out the legal requirement to brief me.
2) In the vain hope that other people will see me do this and then listen!

Skipness I would politely ask that next time you are on board, fly the aviation flag and spare a few seconds of your time to listen and help set the standard (if you don't already do!!). Although you know, others don't. Try and get them to listen as your life might depend on it!

In answer to your original question nicolas49 there has been no change to emphasise the importance of the safety brief. Its something we have always done. Some more insistent then others!

Capetonian, I would be very surprised if the point is not made on your flight about the safety brief. At the very minimum there will be a polite but firm request to listen as its for everyone's benefit. At the other end of the scale you might be told there will be a test after the brief and if you don't pass you will be off-loaded!!!