PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air: Qatar/Oman refuse new funds & New CEO
Old 1st Jun 2002, 19:29
Icarus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I believe Qatar is still a shareholder until an appropriate ‘exit strategy’ is decided upon. They may well have chosen to discontinue their support of GF financially but their responsibilities as a shareholder still remain until such time as a negotiated settlement and amicable departure is agreed.

Interesting meeting last Thursday with the Chief.

By all accounts GF can have a future and the remaining states have made it clear that they wish GF to continue and to get better and will (conditionally) support the business.
Not quite what was expected at the board meeting and SH&E seem to have had the wind taken out of their sails a bit. Well, pick yourselves up boys and girls, it’s not over until the fat lady sings and you’ll have been paid by then anyway; just make sure she does sing and loudly! Get back on track and quickly!

I understand that the most senior management has until August to at least come up with the goods on paper.
Those same people will become more accountable for their (individual/departmental?) performance and if they have not performed, may well be ‘out’.
Hmm, somehow I cannot see that happening quite as well as most people might like unfortunately.

PCE is (heavily) rumoured to be tough, but I think the likes of one or two up there are far too slippery to get caught out; most likely they will shine the torch of blame on those directly underneath, despite the fact that they did not allow their heads/managers to manage and they dictated to them who gets a job (cousin, bothers best mate etc) despite the fact that the head/manager clearly knew it was inappropriate and damaging for the company. (This is happening already!). Mr Hogan, I say, “pay them off and get rid of them, we surely cannot work happily ever after with people like this around”. I do not believe you can give them enough rope! Nor is it the right time to play that game.

Hogan is a determined ‘winner’ and I trust he will do all that he can and that it will be enough to “Turn the ship around” (his words not mine). Oh and by the way, on the off chance that you read this, please look at my earlier posts, you have to seriously stop using that horrible phrase “Move forward”, it’s just so corny and insincere these days.

Overall, more good than bad was conveyed so that’s a start. It’s in his hands (and ours as employees) to get to work to now. I suspect the first indication of redeployments and ‘redundancies’ will be this coming week (heads/senior managers down) with perhaps a ‘cabinet re-shuffle’ in late August. Lets hope he can spot our “Peter Mandleson(s)” by that time!