PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it in todays economy?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 12:44
402 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2 cents

I have been furloughed for 8 months now and it is tough. For me ALL i ever wanted to do if fly, I love flying the more the better. My best days are when I fly for 10 - 15 hrs and then crash in a hotel room and do the same thing the next day. You can ask any one I am a very happy camper then. If you are like that, then yes it will be worth the investment and you will be doing what you always wanted to do. That drive will also be the reason why you do not end up in the 80% that does not return to commercial aviation.
But if flying is not the first and last thing you think of in the day, it will get tough and might not be worth it.
Aviation goes from one extreme to another, I was chief flight instructor for two schools and could not keep my instructors. Instructors with 300-400 hrs were sucked up by regional airlines and were flying there butts off, now G-V captains with 15000 hrs can't find a job. So if you start your training now and just hit it hard you might be ready for the next up-swing. And that is when you want to get hired because it will give you enough buffer, so when the down swing happens you wont get furloughed.

I stayed in flight training and never made the jmup to the airlines, but all my friends that did go to the airlines and were hired on the upswing are still all flying.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do to help