PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffrey Thomas awarded RAES "Journalist of the Year"
Old 25th Aug 2009, 11:59
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mr Thomas,

I think it's tops that you are prepared to post on here as you have. I will assume that you would also be prepared to answer a couple of questions. Even if I don't like your answers, the credibility rating will go up.

I understand that grabs are short and they can be taken out of context, Sunrise however is live but you only get a couple of questions to answer and limited time. This role is completely different to the one at ATW where you can write whatever you like.

I think I've seen or heard you a couple of times on Sunrise or similar radio shows. You have given glowing reports on the overseas maintenance facilities and claim that Qantas only use worlds best facilities.

Q 1 - What overseas maintenance facilities have Qantas used in the past 5 years that you are refering to with your positive comments? (this is a general knowledge question to test if you understand the industry. I will assume the longer it takes to answer, the more calls you have had to make to get the answers. I will text you immediately to let you know these questions are here.)

You circulate in the Aviation industry in which most of us work. If you circulate in this area and claim to be an aviation expert, I am sure you would be aware of shonky maintenance that was exposed in the public from overseas facilities such as wiring that was stapled together and failed Qantas audit reports. It was our Association that put these things out there.

Q 2 - Why have you never contacted the ALAEA to discuss any maintenance issue?

Lawful Industrial Action was taken by LAMEs at Qantas after 18 months of negotiation where Qantas had not budged from their opening position. Engineers had waited 3 1/2 since any rise at all whilst Dixon and co. had recieved cumulative wage rises above 50%. After the engineers got a wage rise of about 4.8% pa, you asked Geoff Dixon this question -

Surely the long-running and mischievous industrial campaign by ground engineers this year..........
Q 3 - Why did you use the word mischievous to descride our lawfully conducted protected Industrial Action?