PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Commands TOGA; A320 lands anyway
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2001, 17:11
Frederic

Red face

Seems like the A320 didn't reach alpha max at all. If both pilots commanded a-max this might have led to the FCC's overanticipating the alpha demanded. If this would have been the case the problem would not have been a limit protection problem, but an input problem. On one hand it's a shame this happened, but on the other hand I think this incident means a great step forward in FBW devellopement. IF...
Looking forward to reading the report. It would still surprise me if AI would allow the FBW to exceed a-max. To allow it to make a transient overshoot would make sense to me, but just to increase its value wouldn't. But this incident smells of an input problem. So in anticipation of more detailed info I will now shut up and let the AI-bashers vent their anger. (beware though, I will bite back) Would still fly the A320 anyday...
PS: Flightsafety: Normally if both pilots apply full aft stick the FCC command maximum G (2.5) or max alpha, wichever comes first. So it must have been an input or reaction time problem . Another thing I don't understand is that since below 100 feet the aircraft passed from normal to direct law, the envelope protections should have been removed by that time. Strange...

[This message has been edited by Frederic (edited 03 June 2001).]