PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aurora Project
Thread: Aurora Project
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 11:07
Two_Squirrels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did a YF-23, or something that looks very like one, crash at Boscombe Down back in September 1994? What was it doing there? What actually was it?

There's no real possibility of denial -
So what was that all about then?
Like all conspiracy theoreis, what starts as one simple incident, gets snowballed out of all proportion due to soemone (generally who desperatly wants to belive something in the first place) adds 2 and 2 togther, and makes a huge number. For what it is worth, and people who believe the conspiracy theory will not believe me, I worked at Boscombe at that time and can perhaps shed sone light on some of the bits of the equation:

1. There was an incident on a Tornado which was doing trilas with a towed decoy, which failed to retract, hence the shutting of the main road outside the base.
2. There are generally American exchange pilots at Boscombe (at the time, it was Rick Husband I think, the shuttle commander during the Colombia accident).
3. A C5 was at Boscombe to take (or bring back) a helicopter from AUTEC.
4. The unmarked Boeing 707 was an Italian Air Force tanker at Boscombe for AAR trials.
5. The Agusta 109 was at Boscombe for trials.
6. The Gulfstream was a VIP aircraft. (Interesting aside. It was Tom Cruise visting Nicole Kidman who was in the local area making a film. Heale House- Portrait of a Lady).
7. The rolling deck was just being delivered from Bedford. Covered in tarpaulin.

All of these things happened in the space of a few days. As I said 2+2 is a huge number