PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces mail to the 'stan
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 09:49
moosemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barnstormer

barnstormer, please let me explain further then, so that you might understand what I was getting at.

Disregarding the necessary "out of theatre" medical expertise, equipment or facilities that the UK was unable to provide, which is not an RAF issue.

If you need patient "X" to leave as soon as possible, and you have 2 options;
Option A: - an existing USAF task departing 1 hour,
Option B: - generate your own task that can depart in 3 hours once all the necessary diplomatic and tactical clearances have been obtained, a "spare" (if there ever is such a thing ) frame BF'd and crew generated.

You are going to choose option A!! Choosing option A doesn't mean that option B never existed, it just means option A was better.

Therefore it is incorrect to say that the RAF were unwilling or unable to carry out the task. It is only correct to say that there was a better/quicker/simpler/more efficient alternative available.

Would you have had the RAF pre-position a rotary asset to Germany for the final ferry leg, or would you agree it would be better to use a German air ambulance?
So, it ISN'T odd that the RAF didn't carry out the task themselves. They simply didn't have the right assets in the right places at the right times, whereas USAF and German HeliMed services did.

I fully agree with your sentiments regarding the existing state of our AT regarding mail etc however, but there's only so long one can beat one's head against an immovable object. Once Gordo is history, then the beating can resume, but until then, I fear discretion is the best part of valour.