PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoffrey Thomas awarded RAES "Journalist of the Year"
Old 25th Aug 2009, 08:58
geoffrey thomas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Further thoughts

Just for the record, I resigned from my position as SE-Asian Editor at Aviation Week in 2000 over the magazine pulling an article that disputed Airbus claims on the A380's performance.

In 2004 I was shown the door at The West over a dispute relating to my coverage of Skywest and exposing the BS it was peddling at the time.
The Skywest PR hack was a friend of the then editor.

Both extremely costly to me.

Another aspect is that these days we have lawyers crawling all over our copy and the restrictions can be tough on what you can and can't say.

ALSO and please remember this...we report what people say. These articles you cite that I have written are NOT always my opinion but what I am told. Yes we strive to find another point of view but many people will make accusations but cannot or will not back them up.

In some cases, such as Rex, some issues are still in court so they are off limits.

How do we know they haven’t some axe to grind? A major part of our job is to try and sort the truth from fiction when we are not privy to the whole story.

Best GT