PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth it in todays economy?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2009, 04:54
cityfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have ANY other marketable skills that would provide you with reasonable income potential and maintain your keen mind, DO IT and invest your cash in the stock market and/or real estate. Prices for both are at generational lows, while flight training is at all time highs, with payoffs dwindling with every manufactured economic factor that distresses the industry.

The ONLY carriers that are growing hire on contract, pay as little as possible to interest those who might be qualified as they grow rapidly, and the proof of their pudding will be when they STOP growing and need something else to keep their pilots "happy."

Good luck to all, but I hope everyone realizes that the time for a golden future in aviation is long past and it is time to hang on to as much as possible for as long as possible. I will certainly be telling EVERYONE I know who wants my opinion to RUN in the opposite direction. However, because there will ALWAYS be wannabees who think it will different for them, and who are willing to do and spend whatever it takes, pay and other T&C will continue to be driven south at as rapid a rate as the few companies who are not shrinking can manage.

Not that I am bitter, of course, but the dream of flight is hard to counter with pragmatism. All the best to everyone who is taking the leap, just make sure you look LONG AND HARD before you set off.