PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France Safety report
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 22:26
admiral ackbar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that the investigative teams do a great job in often difficult circumstances.

However, after living in France for 7 years, I do agree to a certain extent about french society being very rigid and codified in ways that are hard for people that have not lived there to understand.

One needs to only look at the "Grande Ecoles" system which churns out the mandarins of France's government. There is a certain respect/fear/apathy that the 'rulers' rule and the people listen. I can certainly see it transferring to a Captain/FO situation, especially in a corporation that is still very much in the French government sphere of influence. Throw in accidents that involve Airbus and you add more people that went to school together to make decisions. I am not accusing the French authorities of anything, but in these circumstances if there is any western nation in which this could happen, France would be at the top of my list.

On the other hand, I am a fan of the airline and the country(well the in the air part at least, CDG ground ops are amongst the worst in the world...). Flew on them once a week, always had great service and it seems like a professionally run, world class airline. Had a good quality of life while I lived over there and we all know their TGV system and health care (examples amongst many) are world class, trying not to come off as an Air France basher.

All societies have their characteristics and quirks that give them strengths and weaknesses.

Any lessons learnt from audits like this are invaluable for everyone involved in the industry so I welcome them.

My (SLF) CAN$0.02