PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: APNG Twin Otter Missing
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 22:15
Bush Boss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I think RHS time is very valuable training when a young pilot first gets to PNG (great to learn the ropes from an old hand who has been there done that) I cant help but feel that you dont fully complete the learning process until you are PIC and have to make the big WX calls all by yourself with no one sitting next to you giving you a nudge one way or another. In an ideal world I think a stint in the RHS seat time in a Twin Otter followed by a good period of single pilot piston ops and then back to the Twin Otter for a command makes perfect sense. But it is not a perfect world and as mentioned above there are fewer and fewer piston aircraft in PNG now. When I first got to PNG the larger operators of piston aircraft included Islands, Airlink, South West, MBA and NCA and there were also a number of smaller charter outfits. Most of the operators listed above substituted the initial 'perfect world' RHS time in a Twin Otter for a shorter period of ICUS in a smaller piston and their pilots were then let loose to complete their apprenticeships, but then most pilots at that time (post Talair) came to PNG with a few more hours behind them. Now there is a step missing in that process.