PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The oddest phone fault?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 20:25
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
The oddest phone fault?

I have an old Nokia - don't know the model, but one of the first with a small vaguely colored screen. It's heavy, and its menu system is tiresome, but guess what? People can hear me, loud and clear. Every time. Some of the skinny things my kids get sound like they're transmitting on a point frequency - a technical impossibility - but they end up sounding like they're in a tin can with the output of a compressor stuck in their ear. You'll gather I approve of phones that you can communicate with.

Anyway, mine failed to alarm me one day. I tested it a dozen times or more. It failed each time. Pulled the SIM, left it off for a day to see if it needed a rest, nothing helped. It was an ex-alarm phone. For a couple of weeks I used it as a...........phone. Then it started.

The alarm went off. I stopped it. It did it again. I put it to Snooze, and that worked. Off, Alarm. alarm Off, Didn't matter it just kept doing it. And then I noticed the pattern.

All of the false alarms were in clusters - just like when I was testing it. A day or so, and I'd have another half-dozen goes. Just the same as the bogus alarms now. I swear, even some of the times seem familiar.

Can it be that the phone, or something, has stored every attempted setting, and is playing them back now? Spooky. But I just don't think it's random.

Yes, I'm quite sober.