PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tonka F3 Interesting Facts
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 17:31
Jabba_TG12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Another interesting fact - the MOD preferred the F3 to the F15.

Says it all about the MOD."

Yeah, I read about that too, when I did a some research on the programme for FT1... then read afterwards about the Air Staff losing control of their collective pelvic floor muscles when they saw the F16 gambolling around Farnborough on its first tour in Europe in the late 70's... The info I read implied that they tried to wriggle off the hook saying they didnt want the F3 any more, but were tied into the contract so deep that they were stuck with it.

Not that we've seen that kind of thing happen anywhere before, mind you...

I mean, lets face it... Who the hell would have chosen the F3 over the F15?

FWIW, I'd have chosen the F14 over the F3... After all, what was the mission, the raison d'etre at the time?

Dogfighter or BVR interceptor?

At the time, the job was that of long range interceptor. QRA Air policing & picking off the hoardes of Bears & Backfires coming round the cape before they got to missile launch point if the balloon went up.

Arguably the F14, 15 and 16 would have given us both capabilities.

The F3 was barely OK when it was needed... certainly couldnt have mixed it with any number of other fighters had it come to real air combat. Those who know will know about reliability, particularly that bloody radar...

Thats what happens when you let the Air Staff get an attack of shiny kit syndrome...