PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forces mail to the 'stan
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 15:46
Mr C Hinecap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am frustrated because I have a slight understanding of the supply chain and the pressures it is under.

As mail is given the highest priority, where possible, it goes by air. The only other air freight are the very highest priority equipment required by theatre - it isn't a push system either - they say what they need and how quickly they need it. The commanders on the ground set those priorities - not those in the rear with the gear. As space is so tight, you often get priority freight getting bumped off so even more urgent freight etc can be put on.

Therefore, the most urgent freight is even competing with itself for space. That isn't very good now is it? That would only be exacerbated if shoe boxes full of Haribo and Lynx doubled and even tripled the quantity of mail going to theatre. As ZM hinted at, it is always better to get proper directed family & friends mail.

If we follow the logic here, we start to hamper the provision of 'proper' mail and high priority freight to the front line if we invite every well-wisher to send sweeties and Nuts magazine. Random boxes of stuff clogs up the system rather than family parcels from the nearest and dearest. I appreciate the support of the public now, but can't we and the charities think a little more laterally and become creative?

I can't get any more AT. Nobody I know can get any more AT. Everyone in the supply chain has a responsibility to do their part to provide the best service for those who need it most. I try to imbibe such a responsibility to those around me. Some of you see me as a crude pleb - some know me as a fairly direct individual who will call a spade a f****** shovel - but I am a realist and know the efforts needed to sustain the troops in the front line.