PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada: Cormorant & Cyclone thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 10:05
Hilife

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure where you got that from, VL, but I'd be looking for a new source. That clip is full of error and half-truths. Try some of the official sites.
The Danish ordered 8 SAR and 6 troop transporter AW101’s. Having sold the latter to the MoD in an agreement that replaces these machines with new, it is my understanding that these new machines will be SAR platforms, bringing the SAR force up to 14. The Danes were looking for 80% operational availability for these new platforms, but have struggled to achieve 50% even with improvements with spares and engineering. This larger fleet is what the Danes believe is required to replace the aging fleet of 8 Sea Kings.

Prior to the arrival of 15 CH-149 Cormorants, the Canadian’s operated a fleet of 12 CH-113/113A Labrador/Voyager’s in the SAR role. I believe that the Canadian’s were hoping for a 75% readiness rate for the their SAR platforms, but in June of this year, availability rates reported to the Senate Security and Defence Committee reached a meagre 50%.

Last December, the findings of a report into poor availability of the Cormorant fleet suggested that in order to meet the target range at all four SAR bases and assuming an ideal access to spares, a fleet of 25 aircraft would be required.

Availability of planes, helicopters worries defence watchers - Yahoo! Canada News

Do you note a common thread here?