PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When is it to late to pursue your dream?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 09:57
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very careful if I were you.

If you have a family, mortgage and other committments, built on your previous career, going to the RHS is very difficult, particuarly if you are taking a large salary drop. If flying is a bit of pocket money, the OK. If it is your only income, be careful.

After climbing into the RHS of a jet for a Low cost operator I quickly realised I was condeming myself and my young family to a very poor standard of living, and my quality of life was drastically reduced.

I won't go into further details, however, if you get into one of the flag carriers, then great, I'm sure it is different. But, out here on the perimeter, I can tell you life is rough, and I have no debts either!

Fortunately, I have a second income, so life is much better these days. If you are a young thrusting 22 y.o. things are different. You can eat crap, stay in a caravan, and slum it for a few years (as I did in my first career). Fast forward 20 years, and I can tell you that the pressures from responsibilities of family and children is overwhelming. Debt and free-working practices make this a young persons game these days. Unfortunate as that is.