PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cost of light aircraft ownership
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 07:59
Justiciar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In answer to your question my motivation is to make a profitable business out of it
The old joke about "how do you make a small fortune in aviation?" comes to mind: start with a large fortune and buy an aircraft

Presumably you have carried out some in depth research into the market for what you want to do. Certainly you will want to do this before spending a penny on an aircraft. My feeling is, certainly in the area where I live, that the market for an IFR tourer is very small indeed. I can think of very few people who tour long distances IFR (or VFR for that matter) and those that do tend to be owners already, as IO540 pointed out a while ago. Those that do tour and who don't have their own aircraft may go for say a week to ten days a year, which when you apply this across the very small market means that you risk the aircraft spending most of its time in the hangar. There are a number of IFR type aircraft in my area for sale either out right or for shares which have been on the market a very long time, including a PA28 180 and a couple of Arrows. I would suggest doing a trawl through adverts to see what is already available in your area and for how long it has been on the market. That shoudl give you some guide as to what interest there is in the type of set up you are proposing.