PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL: Start in Oz, continue in UK?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2009, 05:34
floydy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I had a great first flight. It was the introductory trial flight with an instructor who works there full time who took care of everything without hassle. I arrived and was in the plane within 5 minutes, I was quite shocked at how casual everything was - after all those commercial flights filled with security points and other safety issues, this was definitely slightly different!
We had a Cessna 152, being 6'5", I found it a little bit of a squeeze and was offered to switch up to a Cessna 172 but after a few seat adjustments I was strapped in ready to go.
The plan was to head north, fly to the Northern beaches (Manly etc) and then return to Bankstown, however, it was a warm sunny day but visibility up north was low so we decided to head south instead which isn't anywhere near as scenic but it allowed me to concentrate on the flying a bit more I suppose.
We did some turns and I was on the controls (just the stick, not thottle, trim and all the rest of it!) probably for 50% of the flight which was a great first flight. I got very queezy about midway through the flight which was a terrible shame as I was really enjoying it up there - a bit of air in the cabin helped things slightly and we killed about 10 minutes doing some turns and then heading back for Bankstown.
We did a touch and go circuit at the end on 29R and then a circuit back around to land on 29C.

Overall I had a great flight but I am a bit worried about the sickness I felt mid-way, is this normal for a first flight in a small plane? - it's obviously a lot more bouncy and subject to turbulence than the massive commercial jets I am accustomed to - I've only once felt airsickness on a rough flight to Spain once so I was surprised by my reaction to the Cessna. Any comments or advice regarding this?

Cheers!