PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Copilot stopped wrong engine
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2002, 09:11
TE RANGI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon Z,

You are correct. I should have chosen my words more carefully. Training quality is more the issue here. However, both training and experience are inextricably linked to pilot performance in an emergency. And both should be taken into account in the investigation.

fireflybob,

Well I agree with you. I only mentioned the similarity with the Kegworth case in that both aircraft hit a road embankment very short of the runway after the good engine had been shutdown and both aircraft would probably have made it had they had just a few more seconds of power available, but the similarity ends here. As you point out shutting down the good one is a classic scenario as sim instructors know. But I thought that confirming with the other pilot (in two pilot/two engine cockpits) before performing such critical actions was SOP everywhere. Of course checking this company SOPs and whether they had been adhered to is another point for the investigators.

I would also like to bring the attention to the fact that CVR trancripts have been leaked to the press and are being used by lawyers in their lawsuit against the airline. Obviously not the purpose CVRs were intended to serve. But that's the way it goes these days. Make one mistake and your own words -maybe your last- will be on the net overnight. Shouldn't something be done about it?